Friday, September 15, 2006

Dyeing


When I followed some links to find out what Parfait dyeing is, I found mention of Ann Johnston's book 'Colour by Accident' and instructions for Low Immersion dyeing on Paula Burch's web site; I think they are the same thing. The results are really interesting and make a good background for stencilling and screen printing.
I am making some book covers for hard backed sketch books ,using pelmet vylene as a backing, to sell at a craft fair. Its difficult to know what to charge, as they take quite a bit of time, but at the same time I do want to sell them. Any thoughts about charging?




Here I enlarged a maxi leaf pattern and stitched it as the final layer.

The dyeing and printing is done on a brushed calico, which I like as it is very tactile,almost velvet like.

8 comments:

  1. I just love those books! I'm afraid I'm no good at this pricing business, but have a look in somewhere like W H Smith, they are so expensive and yours are far superior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:07 AM

    bloody fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:05 PM

    These are beautiful. I am so bad at working out what to charge for things and normally end up charging less than I should. Maybe try going to a craft fair near you to see what exhibitors there charge, and work out how much they have cost you to make. It is such a tricky one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be interested in one of your books once you decide on price. Please email me at jvanrit@yahoo.com. Your work is lovely.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This books are lovely! I am so happy to find your blog, I will came back here often to read. Your are doing so much lovely thing! good luck in the furure!

    Gunnel

    ReplyDelete
  6. These boks are lovely, I am hopeless at pricing, it is hard to reach a balance between making it worth your while and affordable for your audience. I think the area where the craft fair is held has a big impact on prices, a more arty area seem to hold the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I"d charge at *least* 50 bucks, considering there are pages as well----it's probably still not enough for the amopunt of work, but at some point you have to decide if "some bucks is better'n' no bucks"--they are GORGEOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These books are fab, I wouldn't know what to charge for such lovely time and effort, but you can guarentee that people won't want to pay what they are truely worth, everyone wants a bargain! Can I ask how you made the banner at the top of your blog? It's really brill. Love carol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...