Saturday, October 10, 2009

Felt

I have been working on some felt using Lisa Klakulak’s method of free machining to build up texture; obviously this is only in a very amateur way. I have a video of her teaching her method which shows how she has perfected her technique over many years.


It is fun to try but as any work with felt very time consuming.

I first made some prefelt, and then cut out shapes to lay on my base piece of felt.
I then machined round the shapes to raise them from the surface, before working into some of the shapes to produce more pattern and texture.

I made a couple of beaded brooches with some of the prefelt. It was thicker than the previous piece I made so I ended up compacting more of the surface rather than pulling the felt together to give shape. This reminded me of some work on felt I did a long time ago where I added metallic powder mixed with Ormoline Fabric Medium to the shapes, so that’s what I did. A scarf like this would be really nice and tactile; I'll put that on my list. I'm off to the Knit and Stitch Show tomorrow, so no doubt I'll come back with lots of new ideas for my list.
Thanks to those of you who joined my Followers List to keep me blogging.

5 comments:

  1. That bag is to die for, Jackie. Definitely not amateurish! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:49 AM

    That bag is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - just Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!!!!! That is gorgeous. jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jackie!
    I did pop in here briefly the other day and decided to follow your blog because of the lovely and varied work you do!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog too! Muchly appreciated!
    I adore the colours in these felt pieces and I particularly love the top one in this post!
    My colour preferences are changing as I experiment with more and more techniques!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...