Monday, November 05, 2012

Lino cut





On Saturday I went to an afternoon workshop on Mark Making with Lino cut . It was run by Susan Yeates of Magenta-Sky. I found the course via Hot Courses following an internet search. I have had a few goes at lino cuts over the years and haven’t really liked it but after doing a repeat print of one of my drawings from a recent art class I thought it would be good to learn more about the process. That print worked on fabric with acrylics(apparently not really the done thing,I don't know why), is now my new apron.


 This workshop was better than previous attempts I think because it focused on learning something about the basic marks and ideas of how a shape can be interpreted in different ways. It was well organized and was well attended with fourteen people in the upstairs room of the Electric Theatre in Guildford. It was also very reasonably priced.

As you can see, I would need a lot of practise to make acceptable prints and I also need to read Susan’s book to find out how to register my prints. It is an enjoyable process, despite being hard work, and is one that can be done at home with minimal equipment and mess. I say hard work because we all pretty much agreed that it is hard on the hands and the back  - the lady next to me kept sighing which I told her made me feel better, as it summed up how I was feeling. There was a lot to do in a short time.

4 comments:

  1. I think your prints are great. They are much better than any I have ever done which, Isn't that many really. That probaly explains the problem I need more practice. The apron is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to try something totally new. I did get a lino print set in a charity shop, it still unopened. One of these days! I love your apron it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post. After I read it I ordered the DVD that I received today. Haven't gone too far yet but I love the energy of these women. I am so happy to reconnect with threads again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi..loved this post. laurence which DVD are talking about?x lyn dax

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...